Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Keeping Santa Out of Christmas

It was one of my most fondest memories as a child: waking up on Christmas morning to a bountiful display of presents under our beautifully decorated Christmas tree. Gift wrapping paper of all kinds. Santa had done it again! He came to our house while we were sleeping, and rewarded us with presents for our many good deeds we'd done over the past year! How exciting!

I didn't know how he did it. Somehow, as if by some sort of magic, he knew when we were sleeping, and he knew when we were awake. Gosh darn it, we'd better behave, or we'd get coal instead of gifts! And somehow, he managed to visit all the little kids, all around the world in just one night. As a child, when your parents tell you that something is true, you just believe them. You have total trust in what they tell you.


My grandparents and my mother are Catholics. They had said that Christmas was about Jesus a few times, but didn't really push it on me that it was the be-all, end-all, most important thing about Christmas. (Now I know it is.) I knew that it was when he was born, but when I was little, I didn't understand the true importance of Him. It was about the presents and Santa!


There are a lot of children today who do not even know who Jesus is. More and more Atheists and Agnostics are infiltrating the world we live in, and at a huge cost. They are not just harming Christmas, but almost every other aspect of the lives we live. That being said, Christmas is now so commercialized in the western world, it's becoming harder and harder to keep it about the one true thing it's meant for: Jesus Christ.


Kids these days. All they believe in is Santa, and that Santa is coming to bring them presents! Nothing else. Just Santa.


Recently, I asked a four-year-old child what Christmas was all about. It shouldn't have surprised me, but he replied, "Santa is coming to bring presents!" I asked him, "Well, what about Jesus?" And he looked at me cluelessly. "Huh?" And he was from a "Christian" family.


It may not have been my place, but I did tell him why people get presents at Christmas. "Because people brought presents to Jesus when he was born," I simplified for him. "So we give each other gifts because it's His birthday."


After pondering this new idea of Christmas for a few minutes, it clicked in his little mind, "It's Jesus' birthday!" 


Of course, my husband and I confirmed with his parents afterwards that what we taught was okay, and they were fine with it. But the fact remains that Christmas is no longer about Christ, and this is sad.


I will get into another post later about what parents, older children, older people (and the like) think Christmas is about. For now, though, I want to keep this post solely about how harmful Santa is to teach to children.


Children are easily influenced, and will believe anything. It is one of the greatest things about children - they are amazing! It is also one of the reasons why God loves children so much. It is written, "And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein." (Luke 18:15-17 KJV)


So, if we are teaching children at a young age about Christmas being about presents and Santa, what interest will they have to keep that special day about our saviour? What interest will they have to celebrate the one true thing that Christmas is actually about?

My husband and I had a long discussion about this. At first, I was against the idea of not having Santa as a part of our family tradition. I grew up with Santa, and I liked putting out milk and cookies out on Christmas Eve, and having those excited and impatient feelings for Santa to come.

Hubby did a good job in explaining exactly what I needed to know. What everyone needs to know.

He explained exactly what Santa was, in simple terms.

- Santa is omnipresent - just like God.
- Santa has elves for helpers - Jesus has angels for helpers.
- Santa is omnipotent - just like God.
- Santa is omniscient - just like God.

It clicked in my head then. Santa really is a Satanic distraction from what Christmas is all about. Santa, in a child's mind, completely seizes the role of Jesus.

And I am not being extreme. My mother's voice rung in my head as I wrote that last sentence. That's for another post... Anyhow, really take a few minutes to think about Santa, and what his purpose is. Why is he even a part of Christmas? Where did he come from? (There's a whole history on that...)Why is his presence even needed at Christmas time? Interesting that it's embedded into a child's head, almost as if when the child grew up, there would be no importance of Christ on Christmas. Hence, another generation of either Atheists, Agnostics, or wishy-washy Liberal Christians. Not to say that this is the cause of these belief systems, however, it certainly does contribute.

If you are a Christian mother, I urge you to look and research the evidence that pertains to the correlation between Satan and Santa. Satan is excellent at spreading lies and doubt - and Santa, I can assure you, is one of his lies.

I look at my wee ones, and am thankful that my husband brought this important issue to my attention. Here I was, going to teach to my precious innocent ones that Santa was going to bring them presents on Christmas Eve. I would have been responsible for having my children's focus on Santa instead of Jesus. Instead of the truth. Instead of the only thing that matters.

Keep Santa out of Christmas...

Hopefully I've planted a seed of "questioning" about Santa. I do plan on posting a few more posts about this issue, including Saint Nicholas' history, correlation between Satan and Santa, how the teachings of Santa brings forth a covetous spirit, amongst other things. So please, 'stay tuned' :)

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, let me know what you think!