Saturday, June 29, 2013

Making the Most of Mornings


This morning was a rare morning.


I woke up quite early, on my own, happily and fully energized. All I could think was, as I padded down the stairs quietly, what’s up with this? I was down the stairs, dressed, teeth brushed, breakfast eaten, coffee downrange, all before the kids and my darling hubby even opened their eyes to greet the day.

Since this was such a rare occasion, I wanted to get the day started off on the right foot. As a matter of fact, I want everyday started off on the right foot. 

The best and only way to start the day is to get in the Word directly, without procrastinating, without distractions. As they say, eating breakfast is the best way to start the day. This is true! But don't forget that your soul needs breakfast, too.

Don’t lie in bed and read the Bible, otherwise an overwhelming wave of “second sleep” washes over you! I know this firsthand, hence why I sit up and read with a little dose of caffeine, far away from my cozy bed.

What I do is I read some chapters before I go to sleep a few times over, just so that I actually get what’s being said. I’ll admit, sometimes when I read over Scripture it goes way over my head. For help with interpretation and understanding, I use www.biblehub.com (formerly known as biblecc.com), and my husband, whom God [I’m sure] has blessed with the gift of strong discernment.

In the morning, I aim to re-read the same chapters I read the night before, in order to deeply consider the underlying message of the Scripture at hand, and to essentially “chew the cud”. The more I consider it, the more likely I am to remember what is written, and the more sure I am to apply it to my everyday living.

When I start my day off with God’s Word, I almost automatically start off the day with prayer - a double reassurance that the day is getting off to a good start. When I get that bit of Scripture into my soul, it’s as if my entire being is nourished and fresh, able and ready to take on the day. Whether the day brings good or evil, temptation or trials, I’m ready for it all.

For further reading, see:

Old Testament:

Deuteronomy 17:19
Joshua 1:8
Proverbs 10:21
Proverbs 16:3
Psalm 1:1-2

New Testament:

Matthew 6:33
2 Timothy 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, let me know what you think!